[RTTY] My post on amp suggestions last week

Don Hill AA5AU aa5au at bellsouth.net
Sun May 28 21:39:41 EDT 2017

Thanks for the nice comments Joe.

Yes, I would definitely suggest the AL80B. I have had mine for many years
(maybe 15 or longer) and have had to replace only one of the tubes in one of
the amplifiers as far as I can remember. Although I don't use them as much
for RTTY contesting as I used to, they will stand up to RTTY.

Not sure I told this story here or not but many years ago I operated my home
station remotely from work. I was waiting on a DXpedition to show up and had
the station all set up including the amp on and set for 500 watts. I was at
work waiting for the DX to show and decided to have a ragchew with someone
on RTTY when I lost the Internet connection. I didn't have any fail safe
hardware to shut off the transmit in case of this kind of failure so I had
to drive 45 minutes home. When I got home, I found the amp was still keyed
up at 500 watts. That told me that the amps were definitely up to RTTY.
Needless to say I don't operate my home station remotely anymore.

73, Don AA5AU