[RTTY] Intel NUC, anyone?

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Sat Sep 30 17:36:57 EDT 2017

> ​So my question is this ... how much of the processing for RTTY is
> done by the sound device (avoiding $0.99 USB dongles) and how much is
> done by the CPU? Will their least expensive Core i3 be adequate?
*ALL* of the processing (decoding) is performed by the CPU.  The sound
card - whether it is a "$0.99 dongle" or a "$200 professional" card -
is simply the analog to digital converter on receive and digital to
analog converter on transmit.

When looking at Windows based computers for amateur use, you are
primarily interested in the amount of RAM (16 GB is appropriate for
Windows 10) and the number of "cores" (simultaneous execution units).
With Intel processors, the sweet spot appears to be quad core processors
(8 simultaneous execution units - each "core" handles two execution
units) while AMD processors tend to do better with six core processors
(each core can execute only one "thread").

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV