[RTTY] [TS-590] UPDATE Re: FSK Keying of TS-590SG

groupsrichart at gmail.com groupsrichart at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 22:55:16 EST 2018

As Ulf DK5TX wrote, "I like the KISS approach (keep it simple, stupid)".
Based on the overwhelming advice received to use a simple one resistor,
one transistor interface for FSK and PTT, I ordered some 2N3904
transistors and 1K resistors. They arrived today and I just clipped a
few leads together to test and it worked perfectly. With about 0.75V on
the base of the transistor, the output pulled to a low of 0.02V and was
able to key the PTT line and the FSK input with no problems. Tomorrow I
will solder this up and package it so I can be back on RTTY!

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond and offer input and
suggestions.

Tnx es 73,

Tim WS4V

On 2/27/2018 12:06 AM, groupsrichart at gmail.com wrote:
> [...]
> interface and injecting the voltage directly into the pins of the DB9
> connector. When I did this each output from the optoisolator was able
> to pull fully low (less than 0.05V) and activate the RTTY and PTT
> inputs on the ACC2 connector.
>
> So connecting +12V into pin 7 of the DB9 and ground to pin 5 turns on
> the optoisolator and activates the PTT line. Checking the voltage from
> pin 7 to 5 still shows 12V. Checking the output at the optoisolator
> shows 0.05V.
>
> Now, if I go back to the serial cable connected to my computer's
> serial expansion card, I measure +11.5V from pin 7 to ground pin 5
> when it is not connected. When I connect the cable to the FSK
> interface card, the voltage from pin 7 to 5 drops to 7V. The voltage
> at the output of the optoisolator drops from 2.3V to 0.54V...not low
> enough to activate the PTT line.
>
> So, this is starting to look to me as if the serial adapter card is
> not sourcing enough current to operate the optoisolators. Or the cable
> has a high resistance connection somewhere...11.5V with no current
> draw but drops to 7V with a load.
>
> Hmmm, I will have to think about this one for a while. Time to get
> some sleep! Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.
>
> 73,
> Tim WS4V
>
> On 2/25/2018 11:54 PM, groupsrichart at gmail.com wrote:
>> Jim,
>>
>> ..Did you try shorting the lines directly to ground? YES
>> ..Did the radio transmit? YES
>> ..Did you manually key the radio with it's microphone and ground the
>> FSK line? YES
>> ..Did it shift? YES
>> ..Did you try putting +12 volts directly on the input to your opt
>> isolator with it hooked to the radio? NO...good idea...I will try it
>> tomorrow.
>>
>> Thanks and 73,
>>
>> Tim WS4V
>>
>> On 2/25/2018 11:18 PM, Jim W7RY wrote:
>>> Should be more than low enough.
>>>
>>> Did you try shorting the lines directly to ground? Did the radio
>>> transmit? Did you manually key the radio with it's microphone and
>>> ground the FSK line? Did it shift?
>>>

>>> Did you try putting +12 volts directly on the input to your opt
>>> isolator with it hooked to the radio?
>>>
>>> 73
>>>
>>> Jim W7RY
>>>

>>> -----Original Message----- From: Tim Richardson
>>> Sent: Sunday, February 25, 2018 9:29 PM
>>> To: TS-590 at groups.io
>>> Subject: [TS-590] UPDATE Re: FSK Keying of TS-590SG
>>>
>>> Just to give everyone who has commented a little update:
>>>
>>> 1. I located another serial card and installed it in my computer. It
>>> gives me a full -/+12VDC swing on the data lines.
>>> 2. The optoisolators in my interface are not pulling the PTT and FSK
>>> inputs of the rig low enough to work. When the optoisolator is turned
>>> on, I am still seeing +0.54VDC on the ACC2 inputs to the rig.
>>> 3. I tried different values of current limiting resistors from 100Ω to
>>> 1.5KΩ on the inputs to the optoisolators with no change.