[RTTY] BARTG band-changes

Tim Shoppa tshoppa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 13:46:43 EDT 2018

G3YYD aka M7T writes:
> One key thing I noticed while running with some S&P 20m and 15m that many
of
> those who I could have worked on 15m didn't they stayed on 20m. A case of
> the perceived wisdom being that with low Solar Flux Index  (SFI) then 15m
> would not have much on is a self fulfilling prophecy.

Also don't forget the 5-minute BARTG band-change timer which applies to
100W entrants or 6-hour high power entrants or non-expert entrants. Is it
worth losing 5 QSO's to pick up one mult? For the average part-time
operator with 150Q's and 50 mults the answer is generally no (besides if
they spend 5 more minutes without a band change they are likely to pick up
a mult anyway.)

In past years with much better solar conditions I moved folks 20->15 or
15->10 to find nobody else on the new band.

The BARTG rules are confusing for a lot of us. For example only just now
did I discover that the band change rule did not apply to me, a high-power
non-expert station not doing the 6 hour thing.

Just my opinion, if we want average folks to be more amenable to band
changes, we should just remove the band change timer rule for all operators.

BTW - congrats on the huge (at least for solar min) BARTG score!

Tim N3QE