[SCCC] Re: [dx-list] Where is KG4 ??

Alan C. Zack k6acz@earthlink.net
Sat, 01 Dec 2001 14:50:45 -0800

I agree with you 100 per cent.  There are KJ6's and KC6's in California.  And
the brand new no code extra lites are getting all the vacant 1 by 2 calls when
they "upgrade".
Used to be you could have your Primary Station license and then if you had a
second station location (such as I did when I was based in Alaska and Hawaii)
you could apply for one secondary station call sign so it matched the location
where you were at so you would not have to sign portable if you were operating
out of your call sign's area.  Now there are no more secondary station licenses
but there are people who hold up to 20 (or more) so called club station call
signs, hogging some of the preferred calls just for themselves, for what ever
reason.  And there are W2's living and operating out of Calif and K6's living
and operating out of Virginia, none of them required to sign portable anymore.
What a mess!

Paul M Dunphy wrote:

>      I worked a KG4 on 12 meters a little while ago (not KG4AS, who really
> is in Gitmo.)  This guy was in Georgia.  Said he was newly licensed (year
> or less, I forget.)
>
>      How bad does this get?  I know you could carry calls with you (the KH6
> types can move to Pittsburgh and have fun letting the W1s & W2s think they
> are working Hawaii on 80 and 160.)  But are they now assigning these former
> "special territory" calls to new folks?  If I was living in Dallas, could I
> get KH5HDX?
>
>      Seems like it is going to get terribly confusing over the next few
> years . . . I suppose (were it available) I could ask for and get K0HB if I
> went to Johnston Atoll?  Is there any pattern left to newly issued US call
> sign?
>
>      I know, I'm an old curmudgeon who can't accept change . . . maybe I
> should get a computer to help me figure all this out.
>
> 73/DX Paul VE1DX
>
> http://www.qsl.net/ve1dx/
>
> To UNSUBSCRIBE from this list, send a blank email message to:

		      Amateur Radio Station K6ACZ
                     Anaheim, Southern California, USA
                Quality Engineer, The Boeing Company, Retired
                              SEMPER PARATUS

--
SCCC on the Web:          http://sccc.contesting.com/
Submissions:              sccc@contesting.com