[SCCC] Found a way to work a few in SPRINT

Radiodan W7RF RFpower@radiodan.com
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 15:31:30 -0800

Hi Guys,

I was looking forward to getting some time to play in the sprint but really
wasn't sure so I didn't sign up on one of the teams.
I did however, find time from the mobile to operate while driving and had
fun searching for some of our boys. I was able to work quite a few on a
couple of different bands, and although 80M from the car is not my strongest
signal, I did work the Midwest!

I guess it goes to show that a few Q's are better than none.

For those who worked me and are curious, I run an ICOM 706MKIIG with the
ICOM AH-4 automatic antenna tuner to a 9 foot whip mounted near the top rear
corner of a '98 GMC Safari van. A Brown Bros keyer paddle mounted in between
the cup holders makes a nice stable platform while driving. I log using a
Panasonic digital voice recorder that date and time stamps each entry. On
80/75M I replace the whip with a helically wound antenna which tunes better
and performs better than the 9 foot whip. This setup works so well that in
the CQ WW SSB test I worked lots of DX on 40M SSB. On the higher bands or CW
it is much easier to produce a good mobile signal and even better results.
Best of all, when I want the whip off, I simply snap off the Hustler QD-2
quick disconnect and there is nothing but a 2 inch stub left on the ball
mount.

For those of you that haven't tried operating CW while mobile in motion, I
suggest you give it a go. Safety first until you get comfortable with the
whole arrangement may be operating while parked to start. But hey, this IS a
competitive bunch!

Hope to see some of you in Visalia.

73, Dan Magro W7RF, (President WARC 1999, member SCDXC, SCCC)
Manufacturers Rep & Distributor for HENRY RF Power Amplifiers.
BIRD Power Measuring equipment, Still THE most accurate in the world!
Tohtsu coaxial relays, Samlex 25A power supply, Maha batteries & chargers
www.radiodan.com <http://www.radiodan.com/>     RFpower@radiodan.com
<mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the click!

--
SCCC on the Web:          http://sccc.contesting.com/