[SCCC] rotor repair

Jessica Benny jbenny@rain.org
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:38:32 -0700

Russ,

Concerning your rotator, you need to describe what you have done so far for
troubleshooting. Is the rotator in the air on a tower or on the ground?

First, recalibrate the rotator and meter as directed in the manual. If the
calibration is off, the rotator will not track, especially near the East,
South/East and South..

Second, check all screw connections to the control box and rotator. Wiggle
them to be sure a wire is not hanging on by a strand or two.

Third, disconnect pins 1 & 7 from the control box, get you an ohmmeter and
check the resistance between pins 3 & 7.  You should measure 500 ohms, the
full value of the rotator pot in the rotator.

Fourth, check resistance between 1 & 3, then 1 & 7. These values will
differ depending on where the rotator is pointed. The value of 1 & 3 and 1
& 7 should equal 500 ohms. All this indicates that the pot in the rotator
is probably good, except for the condx of the pot slider.

Fifth, take the top off the control box and physically check it out,
especially the connections on the meter and the resistors connected to it.

If all else fails, read the section in your manual "Checking the rotator
from the ground". This is basically what I described above, but includes
the rest of the wiring.

That's about as far as I can guide you though at this point. Before you
tear into the rotator, be sure to leads soldered to the terminal lug on the
rotator are good. Unscrew the two #6 screws holding the terminal strip, you
should be able to pull the terminal lug out about an inch to verify the
connections.

If you are at all mechanically inclined, and all indications (above) are
that the pot in the rotator is bad, follow the manual and dissemble the
rotator. You can then check the wires and pot inside the rotator.

I have never owned an HG70HD tower, but I've heard that it is ample for
stacked yagis of reasonable size.

Let me know if I can help further.

Ray,
N6VR