[SCCC] Southern California Edison Line Noise Response?

Fred Roberts w6tkv at arrl.net
Mon Mar 31 02:28:35 EST 2003

Dick-

I can't speak on Southern California Edison, but I experienced a power
line noise problem at my QTH.  In trying to locate the noise, the HF
beam "sort of worked" but failed to tie it to a pole with certainty.

I borrowed an FT-817 (with internal battery and in the AM mode) from a
friend and using a 4-el 2M quad T-hunting antenna, I was able to isolate
the noise to a pole with absolute certainty.  I asked the Riverside
Power Department guy to come out and let me show him what I had found.
It was a slam dunk since we "hunted" the pole from both sides which left
no doubt in his mind as to the "problem pole".  And, of course, I sent
him a confiming letter reviewing the test and the results.

In earlier efforts with this fellow's prdecessor, I let him conduct the
search with his equipment, and the result was not anywhere near as
conclusive.  So, I think I now know how to do a successful "show and
tell".  And, if the day on the scheduled day of the test, the pole is
quiet, then reschedule the test for a "hot and dry" day.

Hope this is of help on an approach.

73-
Fred, W6TKV