[SCCC] Towers in LA County

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Fri Dec 3 21:12:59 EST 2004

I know I have asked this question several times before,
but I am actually going to look at some land tomorrow,
so I figured I'd ask about antenna zoning again in
unicorporated LA County. I understand the current LA
County zoning rules allow for one 75' crank-up tower
and one 75' whip. This is pretty decent considering
the draconian restrictions in place in some communities.
How about 80 and 160 meter 40 squares, taller towers
(100 to 200 ft fixed towers). Is that kind of big station
a doomed prospect in unicorporated LA County (not
LA City). Has anyone applied for and received a
conditional use permit for multiple towers that extend
beyond the limitations of the current ordinance for
Unicorporated LA County? Is it don't ask - don't tell
(e.g. just put it up)? The land I am looking at is in the
middle of nowhere (at least for the time being). The
other potential pitfall is that its about 4 miles from the
perimeter of Edwards AFB. When I called them today
they said that they usually get consulted when an antenna
permit application is filed with the planning board if the
planned location is close enough to the base such that
there might be flyover or frequency protection issues
(nothing like having a B-2 clipping the top of your
Christmas tree). Anyone butted heads with USAF on
this sort of thing?

Thanks,