[SCCC] Fw: NA Sprint CW W4EF(@W6VIO) HP

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Feb 14 02:15:39 EST 2005

When I started out in the CW Sprint, Dennis, I though it would be
great if I ever got good enough to break 200, then I broke 200
and wondered if I would ever get good enough to break 250,
then I broke 250 and wondered if I would ever get good enough
to break 300. The I broke 300 and wondered if I would ever
get good enough to break 325. I have now been wondering
about 325 for longer than I would car to admit (my first CW
Sprint was circa 1986). Meanwhile a fair number of my esteemed
competitors are making 350, 370, and 380  on a regular basis.
There is even that one deranged fellow up in Oregon who just
made 429 QSOs.

How these guys score so high is a mystery to me. I used to
think it was lack of hardware, and then I got some pretty good
hardware and found that I still fell short. It has become apparent
to me that it is most likely the guy behind the key, not the
hardware that is the primary impediment to further advancement
up the scoring ladder. I will continue to try, however, as the CW
Sprint is pretty darn fun even when I fall short of my goals for
scoring. And who knows, perhaps someday I will learn to control
my concentration well enough to squeeze out that extra 5 or 10
QSO/hour that will get me to that next level. Until then, I will just have
to wonder what it's like to score that big. In the meantime that
crazy guy in Oregon will probably figure out how to get to
450 QSOs :):)