[SCCC] Two-letter ARRL Section Abbreviations?

Dennis Younker NE6I ne6i at cox.net
Sun Jan 9 00:54:25 EST 2005

How about if we fix the numbering system at the FCC?  I say this only half
facetious.  After all, a new licensee doesn't get a choice of numbers in
his/her call sign.  Therefore, the numbers still mean something
geographically to the FCC.  They are simply confused and are trying to sit
on the fence.  They need to be on one side or the other, not both.

While we wait,

Los Angeles should be LA, Louisiana can be LO or LOA
San Diego SD, South Dakota SO or SDK
Orange OR, Oregon OG or ORG or ORN

Majority rules, therefore the larger metropolitan areas get the two letter
designations if we must have two AND three letters for mults.  If we can
convert to two only, the larger areas get the more sensible letter
combinations.

The "downside" sited by Dick was already foisted on us once when LA became
LAX and SD became SDG. As contesters, we can deal with one more time to
right the wrong.

One other possibility...Los Angeles and Louisiana share LA. San Diego and
South Dakota share SD, etc. The ARRL has to keep an accurate database to
sort it out as we submit logs.  The onus is shifted to them until they
successfully lobby the FCC to correct the numbering scheme.

And I second the notion that CT becomes CONNECTICUT in the interim.  Anyone
signing W1AW in contests must send ARRLHQ/CONNECTICUT.