[SCCC] Geographic center?

Bruce Horn bhorn at hornucopia.com
Sat Nov 12 14:34:53 EST 2005

In a separate e-mail Marty, N6VI, wrote:
>There seems to be a "sweet" spot just north of Big Bear that appears to
>include Lone Pine, Las Vegas, San Diego, Santa Barbara, and Yuma AZ, all
>active SCCC areas, as well as all of Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura,and
>Riverside Counties. If that's our spot, we seem to have no problem.  If
>not, who would we cut out by redefining it?

Marty's right. The intersection of 175-mile radii from Santa Barbara, Yuma
and Las Vegas produces an SCCC "triangle" located in the Big Bear area.

The geographic center used in the past for the SCCC was south and west of
this location because the goal was to include both Yuma, Arizona (K6LL,
W7WW) at the extreme southeast, and members who lived along the central
coast above Santa Barbara (for example in Santa Maria). Unfortunately, we
could/can not include both Yuma and Nipomo (N6WS) simultaneously. If want
to include southwestern Nevada (Las Vegas and Henderson), then we will
exclude most of the area west and north of Santa Barbara (for example Santa
Maria).

However, I believe the ARRL is about to refine the process by which we
designate those members' scores that will contribute to the club totals for
ARRL-sponsored contests, so this is a good time to revisit the specified
club center. To help members evaluate different possibilities, I created a
web page with an interactive map:
http://www.hornucopia.com/sccccenter.html

The map shows the Santa Barbara/Las Vegas/Yuma "triangle" and allows you to
draw a 175-mile radius circle centered at any point you click on. You can
use the zoom and pan features of the map to see what your circle
includes/excludes down to the individual street/house level. Give it a try
and report back to the SCCC reflector with your suggestion of a club center.

Unfortunately, the interactive map will only be visible and functional in
modern browsers such as Firefox, IE and Safari. I'm not sure if it will
work with Opera.

73 de Bruce, WA7BNM   (bhorn at hornucopia.com)