[SCCC] California Public Utilities Commission to set rules on BPL testing Today 4/13/06

Tony Ruiz usctony at charter.net
Thu Apr 13 09:33:46 EDT 2006

Greetings all. I read an article in Yesterday's L.A. Times Business section
telling of today's hearing on BPL.  Interestingly, it never mentioned a
single thing about harmful interference to amateur radio (&
fire/safety/emergency) bands.

I am going to contact the Commission today to express my opinion against
this technology.  I wish we had more advance notice but I hope others will
make the effort today to make a call or send an email expressing one's
opinion.

Below is a link to the State of California Public Utilities Commission
website:

Link to State PUC website:
http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/static/hottopics/2telco/050908_bplnewsrelease.htm

PUC Encourages More Competition in the Broadband Market with Broadband Over
Power Lines

California regulators today took steps to clear a regulatory path for
deployment of new broadband technology using electric power lines. The
California Public Utilities Commission (PUC), which oversees both the
telecommunications and electric industries, took the unusual step of
proposing a set of rules in advance for electric utilities wishing to test
broadband over power line (BPL) technology in California. This matter will
be up for decision at the Commission's April 13, 2006 meeting.

73,

de K1USC

Tony