[SCCC] Retracting towers in high winds

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Dec 6 10:15:34 EST 2006

Wayne,

I mentioned this to NT6AA recently. Has anyone ever thought
of using cradles for the element tips on a nested antenna?
Let me explain. The ideal situation would be to lower a big
antenna like the MonsterIR to the ground in high winds,
but since most cranks don't drop much below 20 - 25', the
alternative is to bring the ground up to the elements. One way
to do this is with a series of telephone poles or short Rohn
25 stubs. Each stub would have a wide V block that would
except the element tip (actually you'd probably want to grab
it ~30% back from the tip). You would rotate the antenna
to a pretermined azimuth and then drop the tower until the
elements were nested in the V-blocks. This scheme would
cut the stresses on iced up elements in the wind to a fraction
of what the elements would see if they were hanging free in
the wind.