[SCCC] Retracting towers in high winds

Dio diomar at rmws.net
Wed Dec 6 10:37:57 EST 2006

It's a great idea providing a fail-safe is provided to prevent rotating
the antenna while nested.

Living in Pine, Colorado(elevation 8800') , I found the surrounding
trees gave me a lot of shelter from the wind. I also found, when the
antenna was cranked up enough to 'wiggle in the breeze', it would not
accumulate much snow or ice. Granted, we don't have the big ice-storm
problems.

I also found turning the antenna so the boom was broadside to the wind
kept things from rattling too much.

--joe
KR6NA