[SCCC] Which station for higher score

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Wed Jan 25 10:56:17 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Hachadorian" <k6ll at adelphia.net>

> On receive, the Steppir s/n ratio would be 9dB higher, assuming
> identical noise levels.
>
> Since you can't work 'em if you can't hear 'em, I think you would be
> much better off with the Steppir at 80'.
>
> Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
> Yuma, AZ

Only if terrain is similar. If one QTH has more favorable
terrain, that can be a big equalizer and could easily erase
the 9dB advantage from the SteppIR at 80ft vs the KT34
at 30ft if the KT34 site has better terrain, especially during
this part of the sunspot cycle where marginal low-angle
openings are prevalent. The following is a very revealing
example:

http://www.dellroy.com/W4EF's-Ham-Radio-Page/Terrain-Modeling/vioueterrain.htm

This graph compares the performance of the 4 element
KLM 40 meter yagi (42 ft boom @ 102ft) at W6UE
with the 2 element 40 meter yagi (23 ft boom @ 70ft)
at W6VIO on the long path bearing to Europe. W6UE
has gentle sloping terrain in that direction with no
obstructions (generally consider favorable terrain).
W6VIO actually has an obstruction in that direction
which that is about 200ft higher, but around 2 miles
away. At about 6 degrees TOA notice the differece in
the gain of the two antennas (the smaller yagi is about
10dB better). Looking at this graph it is not surprising
that the little 2 element at 70ft really plays on the
long-path. On flat terrain the 4 element KLM at 102'
would be the winner in most cases owing to its longer
boom and greater height.

I suggest that John would be well served to do an
HFTA analysis of both QTH's as part of his decision
making process, especially if there are any mountains
or big hills nearby to either QTH.