[SCCC] NAQP SSB

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Sun Jan 21 19:25:02 EST 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "JOHN SCHROEDER" <n6qq at msn.com>

> Average about 100 Q's per hour.  Shows 100 watts does work Ok in USA
> Running 2 contests at time - keeps you busy.
>
> Sure miss 40 and 80 meters.
>
> Anyone know of younger person who can climb a tower set at 23 feet and
> change a balun??
>
> Seems running 1500 watts RTTY will wiped a 2 kw balun.  Will have to
> change to higher
> rated balun.

John,

I am curious what kind of balun you were running that failed at 1500 watts?
The old high-gain BN-86's are notorious for failing, but as I recall you are
using a SteppIR antenna.

In addition to being a good all around reference on RFI, Jim Brown K9YC
has some good info on balun design in the following tutorial:

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

If you want something off-the-shelf that will hold up well, DX Engineering
has 10KW rated baluns designed by W8JI that should take anything you
can throw at them. There is a good balun technical reference on the DX
engineering site.