[SCCC] Tower Mast Question

Marty Woll n6vi at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 28 14:01:54 EST 2007

Hi, Juan.

You have received some good advice so far.  Stay away from pipe (not the
same as structural tubing), use high-strength alloys, drop the mast lower
into the tower, and use thrust bearings and plates to help manage the side
loads and facilitate rotator servicing.

Back in the mid-70's I wrote a BASIC computer program to determine mast
stresses for a stack of up to ten antennas.  One thing you find playing with
the numbers is that, for a given alloy, the outer diameter of the mast is
the biggest determinant of how much load it can handle at a given height and
wind speed.  Almost all my installations used oversized masts of 4130 or
4140 alloy (yield stress in the 90,000- to 120,000-psi range), which meant
customizing the top section.  My biggest stack went 16 feet up (with 8'
down) from the top of the tower, which was fixed at 100'.  This included 3
el on 40m, 5 el each on 20 & 15m. 8 el on 6m and 16 el on 2m.  I had done
the calcs, consulted a RPE, and I slept fine on windy nights.  If you give
me the info below, I will hunt up the program and run the numbers, but - as
Leigh pointed out - your tower is probably rated for a load not more than
one or two feet above its top section, so derating of the tower will be
needed the higher up you go.

Here's the data that you'll need:

- Mast outer diameter, wall thickness, height above the tower, and yield
strength in kpsi (I can look the latter up for some common alloys)

- For each antenna, flat-plate area (for booms & elememts, that's diameter x
length) facing north/south, flat-plate area facing east and west, and height
above top of tower.  Thus, for an antenna mounted at right angles to a
north-pointing main stack, the boom area would be considered
north-south-facing, like the elements of normally oriented antennas. Don't
forget to add the area of the boom-to-mast plate(s)

- Maximum design wind speed  (50 mph is too low for Southern California; the
minimum you should consider is 70 mph with a healthy safety factor to boot)

- Desired safety factor (A factor of 1 means yield stress equals max design
stress; i.e., no margin for error.  A factor of three means the yield stress
is three times the maximun design stress.)

Warning: I am NOT an engineer; I'm just a retired professional
number-cruncher (CPA).  If the preliminary analysis gives you results  too
close to "the edge", or if you have any unusual conditions at your location,
you would be well advised to consult with a registered professional
engineer.  I have done so with many of my installations.  Even if they bless
my calculations, I'm more comfortable (and have something to show the
insurer or the courts if worst comes to worst).

73,

Marty N6VI