[SCCC] Services for Phil Goetz, N6ZZ

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X kr6x at kr6x.com
Sat Mar 10 21:29:10 EST 2007

To all of those who never met Phil Goetz, N6ZZ, and have commented so, I
guess it's
my turn to provide a description.  I was not close to Phil during recent
decades, but as
a teenager I operated alongside Phil numerous times at W6RW.  In fact, it
was through
the kindness of Phil and Dick, N6AA that I was invited to operate at W6RW --
first in
multioperator CD party efforts then in DX contests.

Phil was slender but not tall, and had an extremely expressive face with an
honest and
comical smile.  His hair was extremely thin on top, moving quickly to
baldness.  There
was something about him that would have reminded you of a Don Knotts, though
he
would never play the fool like a Don Knotts.  Instead he gently invited deep
respect.

Phil operated any band, but tended to be on 15 or 40 meters while Dick
operated
10 M and 80 M and the 20 M position tended to be filled by Southern
Californian
operators.  The W6RW station typically had two Collins receivers - 75A3s or
75A4s
and a single Collins 32V3 transmitter at each station plus a push-pull
kilowatt final
amplifier shared by the two operators manning the two receivers.  I operated
beside
Phil often on 15 meters during DX contests.

As an operator Phil was quite quick on his feet and intensely focused.  He
had the
unusual skill of being able to send CW with one hand while writing
simultaneously
into the log -- without imparing his sending.  He was thoughtful and
precise, and he
typically brought a pipe along to smoke, which gave him the look of a
Sherlock
Holmes character.  In immense pile-ups he had a knack for setting the CW
transmit
frequency at the optimum spot for breaking through the pile-up (and often
this
was at a frequency that surprised me).  Phil's callsign at that time was
K9ELT/6
and Dick was K2PHF/6.  That was about 1967.

A couple of months after my first operation from W6RW in a CD party, Phil
operated
W6RW single operator in the SS CW contest and came in very near the top
spot.
Through the next several months more operation took place from W6RW, K9ZMS
and K9LBQ were added to the W6RW operating crew, making the
W9YT/W9EWC influence very strong at the W6RW operation. The next fall, Phil
won the CW SS from W6RW.

In an act of kindness that still floors me, Phil went to the trouble of
copying his winning
SS logs for me to study and learn from.  The operations from W6RW ended
soon;
first changing callsign to W6GP then disappearing completely.  Although
there were
years of ragchewing with Phil and the W9YT crew on 75 M phone that followed,
I don't believe that I ever operated alongside Phil again -- although I did
operate
from various stations with the rest of the W6RW crew.

Phil's CW operating quickness -- this is not about sending or receiving
speed, but
about speed and agility finding new contacts in hunt-and-pounce mode and
quick
receive to transmit turn-around -- taught me extremely important lessons
about
operating that I have valued through the decades.  Phil managed to pull this
off
with apparent cunning while at times when I approach the bands I still feel
like
a clumsy kitten charging a swarm of moths without success.  His cheery
disposition, even when operating conditions were adverse, contributed to my
love of contesting.  I won't bid a goodby to Phil, instead I'll continue to
carry
him along in my mind as I go through life.