[SCCC] Sky-is-Falling E-mail Will Soon Follow

H Lawrence Serra hlserra at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 24 13:38:06 EST 2007

Dick-

  Could you briefly explain to us, based on your investigation of WINLINK, why the expansion of the WINLINK digital mode to all amateur HF frequencies (except phone bands) is nothing to worry about?

  Isn't this the first time digital modes have sought to be allowed across the entire HF CW spectrum?

  What are the details of the reasonably good job WINLINK users have done to be compatible with other amateur services?

  I don't doubt the importance of WINLINK as an amateur communications method, but I don't look forward to having them all over the HF CW bands during contest weekends.

  73, Larry N6NC

"Richard J. Norton" <richardjnorton at gmail.com> wrote:
  As SCCC president, I get the unpleasant task of occasionally approving
proposed posting to the SCCC E-mail reflector. Note that I have tried
to get someone else to take
over the presidency, but have failed, and continue to do the job. Grumble.

I have another Amateur Radio job, that of ARRL Southwestern Division
Director. It produces an adequate amount of work in itself.

You are about to receive a posting on this SCCC reflector from K6XT.
It is essentially a forwarding of a posting made to another reflector
from an individual who appears to have dedicated a significant portion
of his recent life to bad-mouthing Winlink and the ARRL.

Although the posting only impacts contesting peripherally, I have
decided to allow it rather than get accused of censoring.

I operate mostly CW. I do not use Winlink, nor do I ever expect to use
Winlink. However, as part of my job as an ARRL Director, I did
investigate Winlink. It appears that the Winlink folks have done a
reasonably good job of making their operation compatible with that of
other users of the bands.

The world-is-coming-to-an-end-and-Winlink-stations-will-be-QRMing-all-the-ham-bands
nonsense that emanates from Mr. Teller, KH6TY, is simply that,
nonsense. It would make no sense for Winlink stations to operate on
frequencies where there are other operations. Winlink stations operate
today in other countries with no government-imposed mode or bandwidth
sub-allocations, and have minimal impact on the bands.

Contesting and CW are not in danger from anything the League is doing.
In fact, note that six of the League officers and directors were
active in the last CW Sprint, a contest for heavyweight CW ops.

If you want to hear more on this or any issues, I regularly speak to
radio clubs.

73,

Dick, N6AA