[SCCC] Sky-is-Falling E-mail Will Soon Follow

Richard J. Norton richardjnorton at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 18:26:09 EST 2007

On 3/24/07, H Lawrence Serra <hlserra at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Dick-
>
> Could you briefly explain to us, based on your investigation of WINLINK, why
> the expansion of the WINLINK digital mode to all amateur HF frequencies
> (except phone bands) is nothing to worry about?

It was in my initial post. To repeat -

>It would make no sense for Winlink stations to operate on
> frequencies where there are other operations. Winlink stations operate
> today in other countries with no government-imposed mode or bandwidth
> sub-allocations, and have minimal impact on the bands.

In other words, if they tried to use frequencies used by contesters or
DXers, they wouldn't link and they wouldn't win.

> Isn't this the first time digital modes have sought to be allowed across the
> entire HF CW spectrum?

They are already allowed to be anywhere in almost every country of the
world. They don't try to operate on frequencies where their system
would almost not ever work.

See www.winlink.org

> I don't doubt the importance of WINLINK as an amateur communications method,
> but I don't look forward to having them all over the HF CW bands during
> contest weekends.

There is not the slightest reason to imagine that they will ever be
"all over the HF CW bands during contest weekends." You can find the
frequencies they operate on on their website, www.winlink.org . There
is no reason to believe they will explode. There isn't enough
interest.

Whereas I as a contester, might think the world would be better if all
non-contesting radio amateurs were silent at all times I might want to
pursue my niche of the avocation, I don't in any way think government
regulation should be used to accomplish such a goal.

In essentially every contest I operate, I experience interference from
other hams. The interference may mean I will not be able to complete a
contact, or even may mean I get pushed off a frequency I have been
using for some time. It's part of using shared spectrum.

Winlink's positive accomplishments override the few times their
stations may interfere with me. They deserve to share the spectrum
with the rest of us.

73,

Dick