[SCCC] Sky-is-Falling E-mail Will Soon Follow

Tom Rauch w8ji at contesting.com
Sun Mar 25 18:58:13 EST 2007

The last time the ARRL proposed something and a few Chicken
Littlest were running around whipping everyone into a frenzy
I looked at everything. Out of all the proposals the ARRL's
made the most sense.

I could never find anything that indicated Winlink would
explode from 20 or 30 hub stations worldwide to a bunch of
garbage ruining Ham radio.

At the same time AM, ESSB, and HiFi operators were trying to
eliminate all mode restrictions on all bands.

My personal conclusion was the ARRL's proposal did not go
far enough to restrict bandwidth in certain band areas, but
it was very well thought out. I never found anything that
would be detrimental to contesting or DXing, and still
don't. I don't believe for a second that this is some wild
Winlink conspiracy or that Winlink is even worth worrying
about, although I am in favor of strong limitations on
automated transmissions.

What we really should worry about is the fact that digital
modes really don't have any spectrum controls in place. It's
thousands of times more likely Joe Ham with a computer
coupled to his SSB input or Ted Baxter sound-alikes in the
CW or DX SSB areas of the bands will ruin things for DXers
and Contestors than Winlink ever could. The ARRL proposal
attempts to put a bandwidth clamp on digital modes. Because
of that, even though it doesn't go far enough in protecting
us from intentional spectrum hogs like ESSB or DSB AM in
crowded areas of bands, their proposal is OK with me.

73 Tom