[SCCC] K6SE SK

Glenn Rattmann k6na at cts.com
Tue May 1 22:10:29 EDT 2007

Yep, he was a real stalwart on 160.

I remember when he was W5RTQ, in Texas.  That was in the seventies
and he was active in many HF contests.  He published one or more
magazine articles on his techniques for shunt-feeding his crankup
towers on 80 and 160, always willing to share.  I learned a lot from
him and pursued my own antenna projects like that, using his methods
in some cases.

When he moved to SoCal later, I believe he put up two crankups so he
could phase them as a pair on 80 and/or 160.  There was something
like a TH-6 on one, and a shorty forty on the other I think.  Wasn't
he the 'inventor' of the pennant receiving antenna?  I never did
visit his QTH, unfortunately.

Dick and I bumped into him now and then on a work project we were
involved in out in the desert.  He always had time for a How's DX chat.

In recent years I noticed he was a major technical contributor to the
1000MP mail list and VA3CR website.  Earl was always giving back....

RIP OB,

73, Glenn K6NA