[SCCC] AD6ZJ CQP Kern Expedition

Loren Hunt lorenphunt at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 8 23:25:50 EDT 2007

Call: AD6ZJ
Operator(s): AD6ZJ
Station: AD6ZJ
Class: SOCntyExp LP
QTH: KERN

  160:   26
   80:   49     14
   40:   67      3
   20:  161    122
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
--------------------

This was my 3rd year for the CQP and my 2nd as a
County Expedition to Kern  County. I had intended on
this being a multi-single effort but plans changed so
I operated single un-assisted and as such reduced my
operating time from what was planned. I put up 7 self
built antennas, several that were experimental in
nature. In the end I could have done just fine with 4.
The wind picked up as the antennas were going up
Friday morning but we still managed to put up all
antennas without getting hurt. The work horses: 20M
folded dipole with apex at 35', 80M vertical, 40M
vertical, 160M inverted-L. The experimental 40M NVIS
didn't get me to the West side of the mountain, the
1/4 mile beverage although effective wasn't needed as
160M was extremely quiet at this QTH, the 15M folded
dipole was not worth the trouble as I didn't work (or
even copy) a single station above 20M.    I was just
going to fool around on CW and concentrate on SSB.
Between 20M SSB being way overcrowded with all of us
in CA who couldn't hear each other and 40M with above
average foreign broadcast, CW turned out to be the hot
ticket. Never mind that I was calling CQ at 14 - 16
WPM I still
managed twice as many CW  contacts as SSB. Note to
self - continue to work on CW speed with Morse Runner
especially with pileups. Thanks go to all those who
patiently repeated call signs and reports as I only
had to turn away 3 that I couldn't pull out. Special
bonus was working a couple JA's on 40M Sunday morning
and working a couple VE's Saturday night on 160M.
Multipliers missing: NT, RI, NM, ID, NV, UT mostly
close ones, same number missing as last year. Surprise
- I only worked 43 more stations as last year and with
the same number of mults my score was over 20,000
point higher. Those extra CW point do add up.