[SCCC] Rus RTTY K6GEP SOAB LP

Tim Goeppinger timgep at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 1 21:25:31 EDT 2007

             Russian RTTY WW Contest

Call: K6GEP

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CA

   80:    6   30     1
   40:   41  225     5
   20:   74  420    15
   15:    1   10     1
   10:
------------------------
Total:  122  685    22  Total Score = 15,070

It has been 3 fun weekends in what I will call the European RTTY Triple
Crown
(SARTG, SCC, Rus RTTY).

Conditions were mediocre this weekend, with the sun doing its usual belch
right before the contest.  I need to ask K7RA why this always seems to
happen on
Friday nights.  I think it is somehow related to Murphy's Law.

I got on Friday night early enough in the evening to work all that I could
before the East Coast went to bed.  There were few stations to work after
0600z. Had some small runs going on 40.  Couldn't do much on 80, but it
really wasn't
too noisy for this time of year.

I was disappointed that there were very few stations on 40 around 1200z.
Seemed like me & K7QQ were the only US/VE stations on.  Thankfully, 6K5AQY
was there
to put zone 25 on the air for an ESP qso.  Very disappointed that I couldn't
work
any JA or UA9/0 at that hour.  VR10LXN couldn't hear my 100W, but K7QQ
worked
him.

I never worked any Russians in Russia.  8-(

Heard a lot more Europe that I could work this morning.  Managed to log
S53EO. Couldn't get ON5SV or the French station.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say on 3830 that my best DX was a new one for me: CN8KD
on 20.

This afternoon a very strong station called me, but it was unintelligible.
I sent back "NO CPY - REVERSE?"  About 15 minutes later this 5-land station
called me back to work me, and to thank me.  He hadn't been on RTTY for
years.

I managed to almost quadruple my QSOs from last year, but I wasn't really
trying last year.

Rig:      FT-990
Antenna:  2 Element VE7CA Dipole Beam up 25 feet pointed east
          40 meter inverted vee up 50 feet at apex
          Alpha Delta DX-CC Multiband Dipole for 80

Software: N1MM + MMTTY - Excellent, but had some slight problems that I will
          discuss on another reflector. Likely is user error.

I hope to see many of you at the ARRL SW Convention in Torrance next
Saturday.  -Tim