[SCCC] CW Skimmer in Contests

H Lawrence Serra hlserra at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 26 12:08:35 EDT 2008

  Bruce-

  Thanks for your request for my thoughts on the CW Skimmer's use in contests.

  I take no position yet on what contests the CW Skimmer should or should not be used in until there is some evidence of its effects on contest scores in each category. My major objection to what ARRL and CQWW have done at the urging of status quo contesters is that they have barred the skimmer from Single Op category without any evidence, based on fears that it can be used to unfairly increase scores (and possibly that those status quo contesters would have to learn to use new technology). You may remember similar objections were raised when folks figured out single ops were using two xcvrs in SO2R mode for Single Op entries, and the committees did not bar SO2R as an "unfair" new technology.

  My recommendation would be to let single ops use the CW Skimmer in the Single Op category (as well as in all the other categories already approved) for some period of time, and to have them submit their CW Skimmer telnet spot logs along with their contest logs. This will give the CAC and CQWW committees some evidence on which to determine whether the use of the CW Skimmer is "unfair" in the Single Op category.

  Also, I am not persuaded by the argument that entrants might use the CW Skimmer and not report its use, if it is illegal to use in a particular category, and so should be barred altogether. In fact, the answer to this complaint is to allow the CW Skimmer to be used across the board in ALL categories, so everyone can benefit from its use, or suffer from not using it, at his or her choice.

  Finally, I think the committees have overlooked the benefit of potentially gaining new CW contesters by allowing use of the CW Skimmer. In these no-code licensing times, allowing newbie hams to try out CW contesting by means of the CW Skimmer might well induce them to learn code and participate in contests. If a new no-code ham can plunk around doing Search & Pounce in a contest using only the CW Skimmer and logging software, he or she might well find it fun and interesting enough to learn and practice morse to become ear proficient in it. This could bolster the diminishing ranks of CW contesters in our statistically graying hobby.

  I would be happy to discuss this further with anyone interested. I have spent a few months implementing the skimmer with a dedicated receiver and antenna combination, which simply dumps telnet spots into my N1MM Contest Logger without any COM port conflicts. An article on this implementation will appear in JAN-FEBR '09 NCJ.

  Cheers, and 73,

  Larry Serra N6NC