[SCCC] CW Skimmer in ARRL Contests

John Graf wa6l at arrl.net
Tue Aug 26 11:16:08 EDT 2008

I own a copy of CW Skimmer and have used it in a couple of contests.
I hope others who comment have done the same.

CW Skimmer provides you with a map of CW stations across a wide
bandwidth (depending on your station setup).  I think of it as a
panadapter that labels the signals.  It does a decent, but not great
job.  It is much less accurate than a packet cluster.  It also tends
to confuse the stations calling CQ with those that are answering.

It can help in a contest if you are doing S&P.   Much less so if you
are running a frequency.  Having used it, I think its greatest
strength is in working a DX pileup as opposed to contesting.

It does not provide the operator with spots  or data from any other
station.  Therefore, it is not providing assistance from any other
station, person, or entity.  All the information is generated from the
operator's equipment.

So using it does not put the operator in an "assisted" category.
Where is the assistance coming from?  To say that software is
providing assistance opens a can of worms as you would then have to
consider CW readers (assistance to those who can't copy CW) and
computer-generated macros (for those who can't send).

Just like an SO2R, a second receiver, the latest contesting software,
or a nice memory keyer, CW Skimmer is a station accessory.   It helps,
but does not provide a huge advantage.  Nor does it provide assistance
from anyone or anything else.    So I don't see the need to treat it
any differently than any other station enhancement.

Thanks and 73,

John, WA6L