[SCCC] CW Skimmer in Contests

Daniel Severance daniel_severance at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 15:35:01 EDT 2008

Hi,

As a newbie (1.5 years a ham in spite of my white hair!), I have tried it and other code readers and indeed participated in a few CW contests (not seriously - A) don't have the station for it and B) one can only S&P with CW Skimmer - no use if a straight key or a less than perfect fist answers my CQ - the readers just can't deal with it.   One can't expect to be serious in a contest unless one runs a significant amount of time...

Anyway - I initially found CW VERY intimidating - the exchanges and Q codes are almost like a foreign language even if you are using a reader...  The few contests I've hopped into have helped me get over that (and DXPeditions).   I've not used CW Skimmer per se in a contest, but it's not a big help if you only have 3Khz of bandwidth - you have to be on top of the guy to see him.  It's got a 24Khz bandwidth if you are on a radio with a panadapter.

So to Larry's point, newbies (especially the ones WITHOUT grey hair hi hi) have been raised with computers, etc., and are not likely to see it as a big deal to set up - if they are into contesting one would expect them to want to get into CW contests as well (otherwise those weekends can be pretty quiet!).

Since I have done it I've gotten better at recognizing my call, CQ, 5NN, etc..., and it's just a matter of time before I can make the time to start studying it more seriously and eventually will be less dependant on the readers (no clue about sending yet!).

Cheers and 73
Dan
N6ERD