[SCCC] CW Skimmer

Art k6xt at arrl.net
Wed Aug 27 19:22:12 EDT 2008

Dan wrote:

From: Daniel Severance <daniel_severance at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [SCCC] CW Skimmer in Contests
To: Ken Widelitz <widelitz at gte.net>, sccc at contesting.com

Hi,

As a newbie (1.5 years a ham in spite of my white hair!), I have tried it and other code readers and indeed participated in a few CW contests (not seriously - A) don't have the station for it and B) one can only S&P with CW Skimmer - no use if a straight key or a less than perfect fist answers my CQ - the readers just can't deal with it.   One can't expect to be serious in a contest unless one runs a significant amount of time...

Anyway - I initially found CW VERY intimidating - the exchanges and Q codes are almost like a foreign language even if you are using a reader...  The few contests I've hopped into have helped me get over that (and DXPeditions).   I've not used CW Skimmer per se in a contest, but it's not a big help if you only have 3Khz of bandwidth - you have to be on top of the guy to see him.  It's got a 24Khz bandwidth if you are on a radio with a panadapter.

So to Larry's point, newbies (especially the ones WITHOUT grey hair hi hi) have been raised with computers, etc., and are not likely to see it as a big deal to set up - if they are into contesting one would expect them to want to get into CW contests as well (otherwise those weekends can be pretty quiet!).

Since I have done it I've gotten better at recognizing my call, CQ, 5NN, etc..., and it's just a matter of time before I can make the time to start studying it more seriously and eventually will be less dependant on the readers (no clue about sending yet!).

Cheers and 73
Dan
N6ERD

I said this when the controversy erupted: Anything that attracts new guys to CW is good. Proof positive per Dan's comments it works. This is one. Like prohibition I believe there's not much sense in the attempts to outlaw Skimmer-- and they will be about as successful. Lots of flailing around, lots of noise like this right here, not much effect.

I further believe there will be small, if any, effect on CW scores from the top contesters. For the rest of us, like me, who are not going to win anytime soon, what's the difference? If we want to play with technology instead of working guys or maybe even in addition, well, maybe that's what we enjoy most doing!

Skimmer just doesn't seem to meet any reasonable definition of SO-Assisted, any more than SO2R does. Geez, if we're going to go there, how about 2 antennas? 2 towers? Arrighty you DX hogs, to be fair the single ops have to single up on EVERYTHING! Nobody uses anything but an all band vertical!!?? Paper LOGS!

N6NC Larry's eloquence far exceeds mine. I could not have said it better in a million years so I'll quit trying.

73 Art