[SCCC] 160 m contest

Randy Johnson randyj at loan-wolf.com
Mon Dec 8 02:21:59 EST 2008

ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W6SJ
Operator(s): W6SJ
Station: W6SJ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: ORG

Total:  QSOs = 162  Sections = 57  Countries = 3  Total Score = 18,981

Club: Southern California Contest Club

I was able to be on for only about 6 hours on Saturday night and made 162 contacts. I wasn't interested in QSO total as I really hoped to pick up the 4 NE states I need for WAS. Managed ME and MA, two new states and still need RI and VT.  49 Q's were CA, 3 DX (P40, RW0, XE) . Only 5 Q's were W1, W2, and W3.  Another 30 east of  the Mississippi River, and the rest somewhere in the middle to west of the country.  Calling CQ only got responses from CA stns so mostly S&P. I felt good about finding 57 sections in my limited time. Amazingly, no LA or OK.  I think it would have been possible to get 57 sections with 57 contacts!

I could not hear most of the east coast stations that were on the other side of a QSO from whomever I heard.  One knows that recieving antenna are important but this sure brought that forcefully home. I'm sure that there were dozens of stations that were madly calling in W1, W2, and W3 and who ocouldn't hear us just as there were a ton of W6's and W7s calling out here and having trouble raising those guys.

IC-756 PROII + 300 watt amp
Dipole up 30 ft.
Receiving Loop courtest of K6KII
N3FJP software