[SCCC] (dxlab) Field day and IC706 mk 2 g

Art k6xt at arrl.net
Mon Jun 2 00:47:09 EDT 2008

Thank you one and all, particularly from those able to respond to my
specific question: "Those with 706 experience". Of course I'd previously
read up on specs from Sherwood, ARRL etc. so had a fair idea what to
expect from a receiver 30dB or better down in narrow BDR from the best
available. The good news is the 706 seems to be more or less mid-pack
with better measurements than some other heavily advertised units and
eminently portable.

If someone answered the question in re having a LDG Z100 tuner in line,
I missed that reply. Since the Z100 tuner is a L network I'd expect
some reduction in QRN from higher band stations but not from lower
bands. So stubs, a bandpass tuner, or some other filter would help.

Interesting sidenote for 706 users, I used a 180 ohm resistor for the
'continuous fan' mod. This reduces the case temperature from 'don't want
to hold on' to 'ho hum'. I didn't measure it. But 'don't want to hold
on' from my Navy engineering department days is 120-125 deg F. Ho hum is
more like 95 deg F. The many pages on this mod specify 200 or 220 ohms.
I found 180 ohms draws 45mA, while 220 ohms draws on the order 41 ma.
Not a big difference, but the fan starts up reliably. The noise
difference is negligible to me, without headphones on. Since the rig
draws about 1200ma on receive the extra 4-5ma at least at my station is
worth the reliable spin-up.

Thanks again to all!

73 Art