[SCCC] N6MM, Harvey Hetland SK

DBellW6AQ at aol.com DBellW6AQ at aol.com
Thu Mar 6 00:21:29 EST 2008

I remember Harvey fondly and he was indeed one of the good guys.

73, Dave

In a message dated 3/5/2008 5:25:26 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
n6no at arrl.net writes:

At 16:13  -0800 2008-03-05, Richard J. Norton wrote:
>It is with sadness that I  report that Harvey Hetland, N6MM, of
>Altadena, CA, passed away today  after being hit on his bicycle this
>morning by a hit-and-run driver.  The accident took place on La Tuna
>Canyon Road in the San Fernando  Valley.

Geez, Dick, what a waste.  A few years ago we lost a  manager at JPL
the same way, hit while biking to work in  Altadena.

I didn't know Harvey personally but I do remember when the  FCC opened
up the two letter "N" block of calls for Extras (in 1977 I  think).
Although my first choice was N6NO, many others were asking for  their
initials.  I remember being surprised that Harvey asked for MY
initials (N6MM) instead of his own (N6HH) but then I was told he
requested N6MM solely so he could use the phonetics "Mickey  Mouse".

So now within two weeks we have lost two Harveys, Hetland and  Hiller.
And neither one of them were old fogies.

73,
- -  Merv.
SCCC mailing  list
SCCC at contesting.com