[SCCC] N6MM, Harvey Hetland SK

Paul Gordon, N6LL n6ll at arrl.net
Fri Mar 7 00:40:08 EST 2008

I was young and clueless when Harvey, WA6KZI, became president of the
Pasadena Radio Club, and I secretary (ca.1970). Harvey opened my eyes
to the larger world of ham radio, and brought club attendance from 4
to 80.

I idolized him. He had the Drake 4-Line. When I could afford it, I got
a Drake 4-Line. He used a rapidograph pen for everything. I got one.
His printing was perfect, his logs immaculate, his artwork clear. I
was no match.

We backpacked together. Recently he sent me a photo of him backpacking
on Mount Pinos with a QRP rig to operate in the Flight of the Bumble
Bees event.

While a professor at PCC, Harvey wrote a few stories in the style of
WA6AUD, about the adventures of red-eyed Louis and the beady-eyed
QRPer. Always the teacher.

Thanks, Harvey. Your sincerity, your austerity, your humor, your
stories, the sound of your voice, all are precious to me.

RIP OM.

73,

Paul Gordon, N6LL