[SCCC] N6MM Memorial Service Report

Richard J. Norton richardjnorton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 21:33:29 EDT 2008

Approximately 250 people were present at the memorial service for
Harvey Hetland, N6MM, in Pasadena today, a number somewhat remarkable
since it included no blood relatives.

In addition to Radio Amateurs, there were a significant number of
fellow church members, associates and students from Pasadena City
College where he taught, radio broadcast industry people, and friends
from the cycling world.

Harvey contributed much more to the world than he took out, in ham
radio as well as in his other activities.

One thing that struck me was the Evel-Knievel-like attitude of
cyclists. It seemed that they treat both serious injury and possible
death as part of the cost of doing their thing. Radio contester W1WAI
died in a bicycling accident a few years back. Harvey Hetland came
close about 4 years ago, spending time in a hospital in northern
California after being picked up on a road in an unconscious state.

In a conversation with Harvey's girlfriend, K0IU, who was riding
behind Harvey when he was killed, Christie casually mentioned that she
spent three days in a Santa Barbara ICU last fall after an accident!

On my list even radio hams are closer to being sane than cyclists who
use public highways!

73,

Dick, N6AA