[SCCC] 2009 Ohio QSO Party

RGrubic at aol.com RGrubic at aol.com
Sun Aug 23 11:01:00 PDT 2009

2009 Ohio QSO Party
[Filed in  Panama]
Call: HP3/NC6Q
Operator: NC6Q
Station: HP3/NC6Q  portable
Class: High  Power
QTH: Boquete, Chiriqui Province,  Panama
Operating Time: 8 1/2 hours (hey,  I’m on vacation!)
Mode: CW
80:
40:     10     8
20:       5     5
15:
10:
___________________
Total:   15     13
Total Points:  390
Club: Southern California Contest  Club
Comments:
A portable station with a G5RV  antenna up in the backyard in an inverted-v
at 35 ft (with help of EZ Hang  slingshot to sling the rope and pulley over
the 50 ft tree). Tried the  recommended 10 meters on the even hours (UTC)
and 15 on the odd hours, but never  heard anything from here; even called CQ
for 5 minutes each time. Several hours  with no propagation on any bands.
Twenty meters picked up for a while in the  afternoon then 40m was the work
horse for the rest of the night. Heard several  stations on 80m during the
last hour (10 to 11 pm local time), but they could  not hear me so I went back
to 40. A CW filter would have helped in my little  Kenwood TS-50. Luckily,
no storms came through the whole day to require me to  disconnect the
antenna..
I have the usual beginner's comment  that cw speeds were just too fast for
me. Had to listen and copy pieces at a  time with QRM and QSB to get my
anticipated exchange. That took a lot of time.  (I felt like an SWL.) If a
station would only have sent their NR or County twice  (as several did), I could
have called them sooner or even worked them on the  first try (to my benefit
and theirs)! Some stations immediately slowed down  to match my sending
speed (about 17 wpm) others replied at 25 to 30+ wpm. (I  know, I have to get
faster.) I realized then a useful piece of  equipment for a contester (for a
fast operator) would be to have two keyers  at two different speeds,
switchable for the occasion. I learned a lot and had  fun in all the preparation.
First time I ever used my Logikey K-5 keyer's auto  serial number
incrementing. Just the very preparation for a contest helps  you learn more about your
gear and what it'll do. Beat my last year's score from here  substantially!
hi Too bad I didn't hear my hometown county of Lorain in  there.
Cambio y fuera (over and  out)