[SCCC] 2009 Ohio QSO Party

Bill Haddon haddon.bill at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 12:25:03 PDT 2009

NC6Q wrote: "I have the usual beginner's comment  that cw speeds were just
too fast for
me. "

Not just you . . The cw speed of many ops was too fast under sometimes
marginal conditions: Many number repeats were needed out of 100 q's.  The
pace may, to some extent, be set by the frantic cw pace of the OhQP's
organizer, Jim, K8MR.   (well, one organizer: there was an odd
dueling-organizer situation in the OQP this year, see www.ohqp.org and
www.oqp.us )
[Raises a ? . . is it preferred to send an exchange at 35 wpm twice, or at
18 wpm once in marginal conditions, assuming op can copy 35 wpm, i.e. which
is optimal for same total time]

>Too bad I didn't hear my hometown county of Lorain
  i missed Knox county, where my great-great-great grandfather setled in
1823 in the town of Bladensburg after walking there from SE PA; my
grandfather was born in Bladensburg two years prior to the outbreak of the
American Civil War, revealing something of the politics in my family . . his
name was Cassius Marcellus Clay Houck, after the orator and abolitionist
(emancipationalist) writer from KY, who later became Pres. Lincoln's
minister to Russia.  **Boxer Cassius Clay, Muhammae Ali, was also named
after Cassius Marcellus Clay, who had freed his own slaves)

With regard to slow speed contest practice.  . .

Look at page 77 of the Sept 09 QST, Sean, kx9x's column (contest branch mgr,
for ARRL) features our SNS (Slow NCCC Sprint), which occurs most Thursday
nights at 0200Z on 20m and 40m, midband,   prior to the NCCC sprint/sprint
ladder competition (NS/NSL). This practice  event is organized by Mike, W9RE
of the SMC.  Speed is limited to 18 wpm, not the 23 wpm mentioned in Sean's
column.

73 Bill n6zfo
(formerly temporary resident of SJC,  OC, now back permanently in
Kelseyville, N. CA.).
Contest Director,
NCCC Sprint Ladder,  www.ncccsprint.com