[SCCC] Off Topic But...

Dennis Younker NE6I NE6I at cox.net
Sat Dec 19 16:49:59 PST 2009

Sometimes, persistence pays off.

I worked ZA1HA twice back in 1991 but despite several QSLs via different
methods, I was unsuccessful in getting the contacts confirmed.  And, I never
worked Albania again.  ZA has remained on my Worked but Not Confirmed list
for 18 years.

Last month, I went through old logbooks looking for loose ends and found the
QSOs.  A little Googling resulted in the call signs of the DXpedition
operators (HA5PP and HA5HO).  I emailed them both.  HA5PP could not help me,
but HA5HO offered to help.  With a few more emails, he was able to validate
the QSOs!  A couple of days ago, I was rewarded with confirmations!

And yes, lightning struck twice this month.

I also discovered that I had not received a QSL for CY9DXX from a 1988
operation from St. Paul Island.  This would count for a new Phone country
for me.  Again, Google was my friend, and the original QSL Manager was more
than cooperative.  He discovered that somehow my call sign did not appear in
the computer log, thus no confirmation was sent to me.  He pulled the
original paper logs and found that there was a transcription error when they
computerized the paper logs to computer!  The computer showed NT6I but the
paper log showed NE6I.  Upon discovering this, he promptly sent a QSL card
along.  Perfect!

Just goes to show, you should never give up!

73, Dennis NE6I
See you in the contests...