[SCCC] Sun Spots

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Thu Jan 1 19:39:58 EST 2009

Leigh,

Even the most ardent skeptics I've read typically acknowledge the notion
that human industrial activity is responsible for the significant rise
in atmospheric CO2 levels that have occurred over the last century.
What they dispute is how much of observed climate change can be
attributed to manmade factors such as increased CO2 level (skeptics
argue that natural factors are the dominant component).

FWIW, while there are a number of skeptics with the requisite
credentials to really understand the details of the science (Lindzen and
Christie are two names that come to mind), they seem to be in the
minority. Although admittedly not a climate scientist, even arch
skeptic/debunker Michael Schermer recently changed his position from
that of a skeptic over to acceptance of anthropomorphic global warming.
That kind of did it for me, but with all the coal reserves in the US and
the messy geopolitics of petroleum, I would be happy to be proven wrong.

To brings things back towards ham radio and contesting (have to tie that
in somehow), it is interesting to note that low sunspots represent a
negative forcing factor for global warming (i.e. low sunspots should
push the climate towards colder temperatures). This makes it hard to
know what to pray for :-)

73 & HNY, Mike W4EF................