[SCCC] The FCC has appointed Laura Smith to take Riley Hollingsworth’s former position

Dennis Vernacchia n6ki73 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 03:14:24 EST 2009

 [image: Default] *There is a new sheriff in town. The FCC appoints Laura
Smith to take Riley's job.*
------------------------------
 There is a new sheriff in town. The FCC has appointed Laura Smith to take
Riley Hollingsworth's former position in enforcement. The FCC's "Special
Counsel for Amateur Radio" slot has gone unfilled for 6 months thus she has
a backlog of work ahead of her. Fortunately she is up to the task. Laura is
a seasoned FCC veteran with a broad communications background at both the
FCC and in the private sector.

The FCC has been slow to fill the position and for a while we wondered if
Riley's successor would ever be named. It looks like they were waiting for
the right person. Now that Laura is on the job, let's give her our full
support. If you have an enforcement issue, she may be reached by e-mail at:
laura.smith at fcc.gov

Amateur radio has always been somewhat "self policed" but when peer pressure
is not enough to maintain civility, then a stronger hand is needed. The FCC
has the muscle to demand compliance of the few wayward operators. We can
help also. Our bands are not perfect, newer licensee's need guidance on how
to properly share the many bands, frequencies and modes of operation that we
radio amateurs are privileged to use. Reach out and guide (elmer) someone so
that they do not become an "enforcement" issue. That is part of elmering
also; it is not just about technical items.

I know that some of you are wondering, "Is Laura a ham?" No, not yet, but
she does have the study guides.

If you attend the Dayton Hamvention 2009 – May 15-17, you will have a chance
to visit with her.

We welcome Laura to this position and wish her success.

73,
Terry Graves, K7FE
Editor QRZ.COM