[SCCC] 160 m

Michael Tope W4EF at dellroy.com
Mon Jan 26 14:42:59 EST 2009

Randy Johnson wrote:

>                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW
>
>Call: W6SJ
>Operator(s): W6SJ
>Station: W6SJ
>
>Class: Single Op HP
>QTH:
>Operating Time (hrs): 5.5

>Total:  QSOs = 169
>State/Prov = 50
>Countries = 3
>Total Score = 19,800
>
>500 w to a temporary dipole.
>
>Was only able to operate on Saturday evening.  Based upon recent reports about how great condx were for Europe, I was hoping for more. I actually heard only one European station, G4PWA and worked him for a new one, only my second Eu QSO on 160.  Be interesting to see how many others heard and worked Eu stations on Saturday. I heard all kinds of East Coast stations, of course, but didn't seem to be the case here.
>
>Still looking for the elusive RI and VT stations for WAS

Friday night was better to Europe from what I heard, Randy. My
brother-in-law was in town so my wife and I were out both nights early
in the evening. Having only limited time, I just cruised for DX and
handed out a few S&P QSOs to the CQ machines (made ~100 QSOs). Managed
to bag three new countries with my pea shooter (assuming my weak signal
ESP heard things correctly). Then there were the 6 potential news ones
that didn't hear my pea shooter calling them (YU, TF, GI, ER, OM, LZ).
YU1EXY had an especially impressive signal Friday night (I think I heard
Glenn K6NA work them). OM7M was a close second. I am still crying a bit
that I didn't mount an expedition to one of the dry lake beds. It would
have been worth the suffering. Many are reporting that these were the
best conditions ever for the CQ 160 (check out N6TR's K7RAT score on
3830).  Glad I was able to play a little in the "perfect storm".

73, Mike W4EF.............