[SCCC] Glaring Omission

Marty Woll n6vi at socal.rr.com
Wed May 6 09:26:56 PDT 2009

Dear Al,

The listing of ARRL Field Day records in the May / June issue of NCJ is missing a significant score.  In the 1980 Field Day, the Southern California Contest Club amassed 27,625 points in the 8A Battery category with twelve operators.  Not only has this category score never been beaten or even approached, but it also set an all-time modern Field Day scoring record for all categories that stood for fourteen years!  And this was before logging computers, voice keyers or Elecraft radios.

This is the second time I know of that NCJ has published Field Day records and the second time we have had to set the "record" straight.  I don't know what source you're using, but if you go back to the Field Day write-up in November 1980 QST you'll find SCCC's accomplishment prominently described.

73,

Marty Woll N6VI
Southern California Contest Club