[SCCC] SS SSB 2009

RGrubic at aol.com RGrubic at aol.com
Tue Nov 24 17:03:43 PST 2009

2009 SSB  Sweepstakes
Call:  NC6Q
Operator(s):  N6DFF, KI6NGL, NC6Q
Station:  NC6Q
Class:  Multi-Single All Band Low
QTH:  NC6Q
Operating Time  (hrs): abt 12
Summary
Band     QSOs   Sections
80         8
40         31
20         18
15         50
107       47         Totals
Claimed score:  10,058
Club: Southern  California Contest Club
Comments:
For my  birthday, I asked my wife, Alicia, N6DFF, and son, Michael, KI6NGL,
to work  about an hour each of the contest with me, hence the Multi
category. Neither one  is active at all, so it was a “costly” gift they gave me.
hi We all enjoyed it,  probably me the most.
My son (23 yrs  old) thought it was neat to see the map of sections worked
across the U.S. fill  up in the N3FJP logging software. I can see I need to
have a speaker and two  sets of headphones each with its own volume control!
I can rig one up, but  anyone have any suggestions? Any neat store-bought
things out  there?
In preparation for this  contest, I made an extension cable for my Heil “
Traveler” headset/mic  combination with a breakout box so I could tap off the
PTT line to hook up a  foot switch (on my little Kenwood TS-50). It was
useful when I started to work  station more rapidly (S&P) and type in the info
with both hands and transmit  with the footswitch.
Fifteen meters  was a pleasure to operate Sunday afternoon. Too bad my son
didn’t come by until  things deteriorated and contacts were harder to make—
and less  fun.
I should have  gone to 80 meters sooner towards the end to pick more
California  sections.
First time I  ever worked this contest. I made both of my goals: make at
least 100 contacts to  qualify for purchasing a pin, and work at least half of
the 80  sections.
Antenna: a  multi-band dipole in the attic. A good time was had by  all.