[SCCC] Seen on QRZ.com

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X kr6x at kr6x.com
Tue Sep 15 22:09:23 PDT 2009

This is an interesting subject.  As a contester, I tend to prefer a "clean"
and
"quick" callsign.  I think of N5EE as optimum.  But I've been aware all of
my
contesting lifetime of a certain counterculture that preferred a callsign
with a
poetic ring, punch factor, or an "immunity to copying errors".  To these
code
zealots, a callsign that would be understood exactly as intended -- even if
the
spaces between letters were entirely missing -- would be preferred over a
quick callsign.

Exhibit A: W4KFC always sent his callsign with the K and the F slurred
together, unless he was using his mechanical SS CQ machine.  Vic Clark
always thought that his mechanical SS CQ machine had a "come hither"
effect that exceeded the results he could obtain by sending his own callsign
manually, nonetheless he had an incredible "fan" following who loved the
slurred  "KF".

Exhibit B: anything VP2 sent on a bug.  The dash in the V is always
accentuated if punch factor is needed, and the space between the V and
the P is eliminated.  It cannot possibly be mistaken for any other letter
combination.  On a keyer, an urgency is imparted if the space is missing.
The punch factor is unmistakeable.  You can't do this with CT.

KD8IIS has punch factor envy.