[SCCC] Everyone Okay?

Dennis Younker NE6I NE6I at cox.net
Sun Apr 4 21:41:43 PDT 2010

HI Marty,

Good to hear.

I got word a short time ago that my friends and everyone down in that community are all okay (not spring breakers but they have vacation homes down there and were spending Easter there with their families.  The kids must be spooked.). However, there is a fair amount of damage. Most of the homes down there are unsafe to stay in tonight, especially in light of the after shocks. They have split walls, broken windows, large cracks in the ground, collapsed garages, decks fallen into the river, etc.  Homes are quite spread out along the highway between Mexicali and where the epicenter was, and where the vacation homes are.  Thus, fortunately, injuries and deaths should be minimal.  However, damage is no doubt severe since there are no building codes down there and from my observation, things are not built very well. All of my friend's homes are damaged from what I hear, and they were more well built than most Mexican national's.  BTW, the report I received was that power and water is out down in that area near the epicenter.  I feel for them. We watched a guy across the river from where we stay build a new two story home last summer. I'm sure it sustained some severe damage today.

We've felt three after shocks at my QTH in the past hour by the way (albeit very mild). I'm in a two story so we feel it when the earth moves nearby.

--Dennis