[SCCC] N1MM Logger vs. Win-TEST

Dick Kalkofen dkal961 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 26 08:45:38 PDT 2010

I am relatively new to contesting, but have been a software developer for more years than I wish to admit. Here is what I have found before our first use of WinTest in a contest.

While testing WinTest, N1MM, and other logging programs, with rig control interface as well as a keyer such as Winkeyer USB, and a usb mouse, I was able to 'Hang' the software.  It just stopped working, and required a restart of the logging program. ( I found out later, while operating, you can unplug the rig interface and re-plug it in and it will start working again in some loggers like N1MM.)

Thinking RFI to be an issue, toriods were placed on 'all' usb lines, and yet the hang issue was still there, slightly less frequently after toriods, but still there.

I believe I have found one common issue in the logging software.  In our 'Need or Speed' we setup the Logging software to Rig interface at high baud rates 192k or 384k.  While this is normally not an issue, we then use the keyer, mouse and keyboards which in many cases are usb interfaces as well, we increase the chances for usb collisions.

These collisions may cause devices to hang or freeze, like the mouse or more problematic the logging software / rig control. These hang may look like RFI has got into your interface lines.  RFI is another issue all together, and easily resolved with torids.

As for our logging program, set them up at the speed recommended by the logging program, as with many rigs that would be 4800 baud.  I have found this to resolve my usb issue, and disarm several other problems that are just waiting for the unsuspecting contester.

Dick  K6KAL