[SCCC] N1MM Logger vs. Win-TEST

Dennis Vernacchia n6ki73 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 01:05:28 PDT 2010

After using WriteLog, N1MM and WinTest ( and a CT DOS user since early 90s)
and discussing all three with John K6AM, who has had to use all three and is
a World Class Contester
who has had to set up all 3 programs in various Multi-OP efforts
(where he also had to network computers and get  Telnet Packet Spots and
Skimmer inputs..etc..... working   )

Therefore, I have decided and John agrees,..... that WinTest
has the least amount of landmines and also the easiest to set up with
minimal
hair pulling...... when you click on Menus.  they work as indicated in the
menus selections

And...you don't have to go into .INI files and modify them when you want to
emulate CT
the "Gold Standard"  that most of us cut our contesting teeth on when we
went from Pencil and paper to
computer logging.

IMHO - WinTest is probably what CTWIN ( WINDOWS ver of CT )  should have
become had support
not have been dropped and seems to limp along with noted issues.

I believe WinTest is written in C++, .....which my programmer friends say,
is the way to go to assure the
future changes made are facilitated more easily for the programmers.

The only WinTest issue I ran into recently is that WinTest does not do CQP (
take heed CA Ops )
but WinTest DOES do TX QP ...Now.what the heck was the thought going on in
the programmer's mind for implementing
TX QP .....as 1 and only State QSO party in WinTest...???
(  I guess the French don't think CQP is a notable contest....the PREMIER
STATE QSO Party !!! )

( Made a bad decision to run CQP with N1MM and got bit in the butt many
times during the contest with Keyboard Macros being hit accidentally
and knocking us off the air as it drove the K3 into LaLa land and took a
while to figure out what the heck was going on, read, loss of vital QSOs ) ,

 Landmines in these Windows logging programs are amplified when going from
Single Op to Multi Single categories
especially when forced to bring some of the Ops of NS efforts up to speed  !

( Note to programmers of ALL Contest Logging Programs -
PLEASE let us Ops that can't type well ....SHUT OFF ALL MACROS and only put
in MACROS that we want
.....Like CT did !!!!!
( Hitting a wrong key and launching into some MACRO that knocks your rig off
the air ior screws up your log, are  landmines we don't need !!! )

73, Dennis N6KI