[SCCC] N1MM Logger vs. Win-TEST

Bill Haddon haddon.bill at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 12:34:42 PDT 2010

Bruce,

Re your dilemma of Win-Test vs N1MM logger:

 -- Some comments this morning by Bob, N6TV may be of interest, especially
since you are in the computer field:

>> I did notice sluggishness once or twice with parallel port keying when
the spot rate picked up.
Reply from N6TV:

>According to my sources, this is a known limitation of N1MM's
non-multithreaded implementation, and something that the authors will never
be able to fix until they do a complete rewrite of the entire program using
.NET, a huge undertaking.
>In contrast, Win-Test's parallel port and serial port keying never gets
"sluggish" when there are lot of spots coming in.

In my own experience of a few years ago with N1MM was troublesome and I
immediately returned to  WL. N1MM dropped QSO's at high rates during a multi
with KA3DRR.

For our NCCC Spint Ladder,Win-Test, thanks to recent intervention by N6TV,
fully supports the contest, although most of our regulars seem to prefer
N1MM. Price may have something to do with it.  I'm currently using WL, but
expect to migrate to Win-Test shortly, particularly in view of Bob's
comments and my own poor experience with N1MM.

I've copied N6TV so he will at least know if I've scandalized his favorite
program in any way.  You may want to communicate directly with him.

73 Bill n6zfo