[SCCC] CQWW SSB N6WS SOAB(A) HP

Bill Shell n6ws at n6ws.com
Sun Oct 31 19:44:58 PDT 2010

    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N6WS
Operator(s): N6WS
Station: N6WS

Class: SOAB(A) HP
QTH: CA-Zone 3
Operating Time (hrs): 20.25

   160:    0     0        0
    80:   40    17       21
    40:   47    21       23
    20:  257    34       95
    15:  225    28       79
    10:   65    11       19
------------------------------
Total:  634   111      237  Total Score = 623,616

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Equipment: Yaesu FT-897
            Yaesu FT-1000MP MkV
            AL-1200
            80m - Quarter Wave Sloper @ 12m
            40m - Rotatable Dipole @ 17m
            20m-10m - CC X9 @ 17m

Comments:This CQ WW SSB was a lot of fun.Unlike the past two years
when I wasn't able to participate, I was able to dedicate most of this
weekend to playing on the radio.I wasn't seriously playing in the
contest, since all of my Q's were from just S&P'ing.I was able to
make 624 Qs, and didn't call CQ once.

I started just play aroundusing a FT-897.Then, when 75m opened
with good signals to the Caribbean, I turned the amp on.That is when
I found out I could only drive my amp to about 600W output with the
FT-897.If the amplifier output went over 600W, the transceiver would
turn itself off.I continued through the first evening and Saturday
using the FT-897.On the second evening when 75M really opened around
0600Z, I replaced the FT-897 with the FT-1000MP MkV.That made quite
a difference in what I could hear, and my ability to make contacts.I
was able to run 1.5kW output with the MkV driving the amplifier.I
only made 40 Qs on 75M, but it was a lot of fun.

73,
Bill
N6WS