[SCCC] Ohio QSO Party

RGrubic at aol.com RGrubic at aol.com
Sun Aug 28 16:47:59 PDT 2011

Name of  Contest: Ohio QSO Party
Call:  NC6Q
Operator(s):  NC6Q
Station:NC6Q
Class: Low  Power
QTH:  NC6Q
Category: CW  only
Summary
Band     QSOs            Counties
15            2                    2
2                    2      Totals
Total Score:  8
Ah-ha Moments:   1
Club: Southern  California Contest Club
Comments: The  propagation gods did not look down favorable on my indoor
attic dipole this  time. As I sat and tuned and listened to Kansas QSO Party
(CQ KQP...) and Hawaii  QSO Party (CQ HQP...) hams call CQ with their
propagation coming in and out, but  could NOT hear Ohio QSO Party hams calling, it
dawned on me: why not work  all three QSO Parties at the same time? Make a
better day of it. But how to log?  Did the N1MM logger hold the answer?
Everyone seems to use it. (I was using the  N3FJP software. And they didn't even
offer the Kansas QSP or Hawaii QSP  logging.)
So with rear  still in seat, headphones on, and hand spinning dial, I
downloaded N1MM  logger, and its documentation, and read most of it, and
installed it, and  played around with it (still hearing no OQP come my way). I even
did some  experimenting with the county list of one of the STATE QSPs. The
program  logger will not allow you to enter a QSO with the "wrong" county
abbreviation,  BUT if you change the list by adding the counties of all the
other QSPs you'd  like to work, presto! You can enter them all into one log.
Just use sequential  numbering the whole day and your QSOs will match the
other QSOs in their  log. I'd have to calculate my score manually, but I'll work
on just how to do  that later. Or not--wait to hear back from the states
what my score came out to  be.
Then (after  googling more on all this and still listening for Ohio to come
in) on  someone's website I read the suggestion to simply send each state
your entire  log that you have  (ahem) "amassed" and they will sort out their
 appropriate QSOs in the process. You could beforehand edit the header of
each  one to match the state you're sending it to.
So next year,  I hope to work all three QSO parties on the same day and see
what happens.  And maybe even look for other "multiple" QSO Party weekends
and try it  out--practice run or real thing if it works out well.
Does anyone  see any flaws in this still evolving ideal? I'd appreciate the
input.
I pulled the  plug early and couldn't decide if I had had a good time or
not. Well, I'm now  finally getting into the N1MM logger. What a spiffy
program.

73,
Bob,  NC6Q