[SCCC] ARRL 10 K6GEP(@N6WIN) SO Mixed HP

Timothy Coker n6win73 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 02:44:46 PST 2011

Dave puts up the scores and has lots of experience on me... but I believe
that a strong, good english speaking, domestic ham, does not typically have
problems hearing his call sign letters only in reply to his calling myself.
To me this issue is an operator experience thing. I believe we all learn to
know when is the right time to say letters vs phonetics. Sometimes I waste
that small amount of time with phonetics and sometimes I don't. As I learn
to be a better contestor I have less judgement error on this decision and
less repeats are required.

My criteria to use his call letters only in reply tends to be if the QRM is
low, signal is strong, english is spoken well by both parties, and the
other ham seems to be an experienced op.

Otherwise I have found myself using Dave's method a lot. Sometimes I pull
an ON4UN move (it's a crack up when he gets angry on the air about
phonetics) and I don't use their "off" phonetics and instead use standard
phonetics as I repeat the call sign... I have done that when a guy used
such weird phonetics that it slowed me down and I use the standard ones in
hope to keep my pile up "honest". I don't know if it works, but some things
I have been learning to do by trial and error as the contest experience
progresses.

73,

Tim / N6WIN.